Skip to main content

The Playful Arts of Maymay Matova and Miss Longtail

Maymay Matova and Miss Longtail aka Susan Braveheart are two delightful tinies who make delightful play art. Little creatures in pastel like colored paintings. Both artists are RL artists and have Etsy shops.

Their exhibits runs through March to the end of April. Following are interviews about their works. Gallery 24 is located at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Tabula%20rasa/43/121/25

Interview with Maymay Matova


What kind of artist are you? and what medium do you work in?
     I am drawing with artist ink pens on catridge paper, then I take photos of my drawings, edit them a bit in Photoshop and upload them to SL where I put them in frames. Sometimes I also combine several drawings in Photoshop. As I am a builder and selling clothes for several kinds of avatars in SL, you can also find my pictures and patterns on my clothes - especially on those for Tinies.


What is your process? Do you work from photos? Do you work from life? How do you approach your art?
     Sometimes I use photos if i want to draw certain animals or I draw sceneries I saw in rl, but most just comes out of my head. It´s a lot of colorful stuff in there. :-)
My patterns are also drawn on paper and then I arrange them in Photoshop so I can use them as seamless patterns on paper or fabric.

Did you have any formal training in art? If so, what university? If not did you take workshops or learned from books?
     No, I didn´t have much formal training except at school and of some books, but I always used to draw and paint a lot. And I used to work as a graphic designer for many years.

Did you draw as a child? and what did you draw?
     I constantly draw and painted and always needed a lot of paper for my trees, flowers and animals. 

Who influenced you to be an artist? A family member, a teacher....
     I didn´t think of me as an artist until friends in SL said so. And still I wouldn´t say I am an artist. I like to draw colorful and funny stuff but always thought of art as something serious. But maybe I´m wrong.

What is your reason to exhibit in Second Life? and what is your experience had been? Any positive or negative. And has exhibiting in SL affected your RL art?
     Friends saw drawings I had in my SL house. They liked them and persuaded me to take part in art walk in Raglan Shire 3 years ago (many thanks to Morton and Butter). Art walk is SL´s biggest art event with way over 100 artists showing over 1000 art pieces of every kind.
     It was the first time I exhibited my pictures and i got a lot of positive feedback. That was when I started to show my pictures to other people than friends and family.
     As my SL friends are mostly Tinies - that means they have tiny animal avatars - they ask me to draw a pic with an opossum, black fox, unicorn, raccoon or dragon and so pictures came into being I wouldn´t have thought of otherwise. Most of my RL drawings are affected of SL.
     Many people say looking at my pictures makes them happy and I think that is really awesome. :-)
     
Art walk in SL in 2014: http://treet.tv/shows/designingworlds/episodes/raglan-shire-art

This is the facebook page for my pictures: https://www.facebook.com/mishmash.de


Interview with Miss Longtail




What kind of artist are you? and what medium do you work in?
     I work mostly with paper, mixing ink and watercolour/watercolour pencils to create the picture and sometimes finishing the pictures in photoshop.

What is your process? Do you work from photos? Do you work from life? How do you approach your art?
     Currently i have two kind of approach:
     The first are usually as i like to call childish with adult eyes. Those pictures usually pop into my head before i create them and often it turnes out to become different cat figures in different moods or situations.
     The second that i have been doing a lot too are more decorative that you can mount on more than just in a frame, like on clothes or pillows or what ever i feel it suits for. Those pictures i just start drawing and let my mood do the rest. They just "create them self" on the paper, and usually become nature inspired.



Did you have any formal training in art? If so, what university? If not did you take workshops or learned from books?
In my adult life I worked as a textile designer and later taught myself to become graphic designer/creative director (advertising). I did get a diploma but life did not take me to that kind of job unfortunately. At least not yet.

Did you draw as a child? and what did you draw?
     Creating visual things has been with me since childhood with from crayons, pens, brushes, watercolour, acrylic colours and paper.

Who influenced you to be an artist? A family member, a teacher....
     My grandmother used to paint a lot on her spare time, I suppose that and loving comics with animal figures has inspired me a lot in a lot of my work.

What is your reason to exhibit in Second Life? and what is your experience had been? Any positive or negative. And has exhibiting in SL affected your RL art?
     As much as i love creating things i like to share my work for others to see. And maybe even put some thoughts in someones head or feelings. When someone likes something I do it puts a huge smile on my face as a bonus to the reason why I create in the first place:. To relax and make myself feel good.

Please visit Miss Longtail's online shops at: RedbubbleSociety6 and Zazzle





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eclectic Art of Xirana Oximoxi

Xirana's Studio Xirana Oximoxi aka in RL, Nuria Vives is an painter and illustrator of children's books. When I met her she was hesitant about exhibiting in SL. But since then she has over six exhibits in different sims to showcase her prolific works. Here are some of her landmarks:   Xirana's Studio in Cassowarry,  East Galleries , Virtual Soho Manhattan , and at Bay City . To view more of Xirana's works and process in RL, click to visit her website  and her Facebook page . At Gallery 24 What kind of artist are you? and what medium do you work in? I am an eclectic artist and if I have to choose a style I prefer it would be Expressionism because one of the most important goals for me is the communication of emotions through my work without being subject to a strict 'realistic' representation. I usually work with different techniques, oil, acrylic, watercolor, charcoal, ink, pastel, depending on the type of work and the results I want to a

Lobo Saintori, "Perceptions"

Lobo Saintori "Perceptions" is now exhibiting for July and August. Through his photography eye, he captures glimpses of views of slices of life as he perceives it. I had a chance to meet this wonderful photographer. Answering questions that I had for him, Lobo reveals how he got started and why he takes photos . . . What is your very first camera? My aunt's. An old  Invikta TL. I still have it. It was made around 1973 and she gave it to me for my 14th birthday in 1979.  Do you own more than one camera?  If so, which one is your favorite? Yes, I have a collection of antique cameras and also several I use regularly. I would have to say my Cannon 7D mark II is my favorite.  What were your first pieces like? I did the usual surprise photos around the house of my mother and grandmother, much to their dismay, but my first real photos were landscapes. I always loved hiking and would walk the hills of Northern New Jersey where I grew up and take pictures